Volunteer Opportunity Details
Opportunity Title: Collections Internship
Collections Internship at The Hershey Story
The Hershey Story: The Museum on Chocolate Avenue located in Hershey, Pennsylvania seeks a qualified intern candidate to work with the collection staff on several ongoing projects.
The intern will experience a wide range of collections responsibilities including object handling and packing, object numbering systems and documentation, preventative conservation techniques, loan policy and procedures and maintaining collections management software. A successful candidate will work approximately 20 hours per week for 10-15 weeks. Internship hours must be completed during normal operating hours (M-F 8:30-5:00).
Intern will be responsible for re-cataloging artifacts related to The Hershey Story’s American Indian ethnographic collection of the Southwest. Intern will write detailed object descriptions, record proper measurements and photograph each item. The intern will also be responsible for properly and efficiently housing the collection using acid-free storage materials and recording location information into a central database.
Examples of other duties:
- Assist staff with exhibit maintenance
- Assist staff with organizing off-site storage
- Assist staff with processing new acquisitions and loans
- Graduate degree candidate in Museum Studies, American Studies, History, Anthropology or similarly related field. Exceptional undergraduate Junior or Senior candidates will also be considered.
- Basic knowledge of standard museum curatorial practice
- Interest to pursue a career in the museum field
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and legible handwriting
- Detail oriented and ability to work independently
- Ability to lift 25lbs and climb ladders
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Word and Excel; experience with database software. Experience with PastPerfect Museum Software is a plus.
- Valid driver’s license and transportation
- Multitasking and ability to prioritize project needs
Please send cover letter, resume and contact information for three references to Valerie Seiber, Collections Manager, The Hershey Story, 63 W. Chocolate Avenue, Hershey, PA 17033; or email to email@example.com with “Fall Internship” in the subject line. Internships are for the fall 2013 semester and must be completed between September and December, 2013. Internships are unpaid but may be completed for college credit.
Applications must be received by April 30, 2012.
Name: Valerie Seiber
Address: 63 W. Chocolate Avenue, Hershey, PA 17033